16.02.2022 | Over 150 participants were present to witness the kick-off of the FlexCommunity - the new knowledge platform to collaborate on exploiting flexibilities in the energy markets.
In collaboration with EU H2020 projects edgeFLEX and Platone, we as the FEVER initiated the FlexCommunity that unites stakeholders and projects to enable the large-scale use of flexibilities in the energy system. On February 2nd, more than 150 participants joined the kick-off event not only to witness the launch but also to discuss future challenges and opportunities in the energy systems, how to foster flexibilities, and the role of the FlexCommunity.
EU highlights importance of the FlexCommunity
The event started with an informative welcoming note by Ludwig Karg (B.A.U.M. Consult) who introduced the audience to the FlexCommunity. Afterward, Achille Hannoset from the European Commission, DG Energy gave an inspiring welcome address, highlighting the importance of the FlexCommunity.
Socrates or Plato – whom shall the future energy system follow?
This was followed by an almost philosophical panel discussion on that addressed the relationship between democracy and energy systems. Christopher Schneider (Stadtwerk Hassfurth, FEVER project), Prof. Antonello Monti (RWTH Aachen, Platone project), Esther Hardi (Energy community 2030.nu), and Todor Galev (Center for the Study of Democracy in Sofia) had a lively discussion on the following questions:
- How much technical distribution will we see?
- How much democratic decision can we give to citizens and consumers?
- How much democracy do we need to make the energy transition happen?
- What are your recommendations to policy makers that define the frameworks for a sustainable energy system?
At the same time, the audience was able to take an active role by answering live polls that underpinned the need of addressing democracy and energy systems this question.
Insightful discussions in breakout sessions
The afternoon programme began with the presentation of the German use case in the pilot region Wunsiedel and Hassfurt. It was presented by Rita Dornmair (B.A.U.M. Consult, edgeFLEX project) and Laurynas Siksnys from FEVER project with the aim to illustrate how collective flexibility management and trading can be established. In the following breakout sessions, participants vividly discussed the model as well as key topics and goals for the FlexCommunity:
Technology & standards with Torben Bach Pedersen (University of Aalborg, FlexShape, FEVER project) & Effrosyni Maria Gralista from Platone consortium partner HEDNO)
- Market & business organisation with Christoph Gieseke (B.A.U.M. Consult, Platone project) & Rita Dornmair (B.A.U.M. Consult, edgeFLEX project)
- Involving citizens & enterprises with Kilian Karg (B.A.U.M. Consult, edgeFLEX project) & Lisa Ziemer (Es geht, FEVER project)
- National & local policies with Kirsten Glennung from Platone consortium partner E.DSO& Mihai Mladin (Romanian Energy Center, edgeFLEX project)
About the FlexCommunity
The FlexCommunity spans from research to industry and regulations and unites (inter-) national stakeholders. By joining our forces we want to:
- facilitate targeted & efficient networking between stakeholders & projects
- exchange knowledge & learn from each other
- align the terminology & communication efforts
- better understand similarities & differences of technical approaches
- push for advanced standardisation & regulation
- strengthen cooperation in innovative organisational structures and business models, including energy communities
How is the FlexCommunity organised?
The FlexCommunity is organised as a knowledge community in working groups, the FlexGroups. Each FlexGroup covers a specific topic. Members of FlexCommunity choose between FlexGroups and/or create new FlexGroups.
The FlexCommunity starts with the following FlexGroups:
- FG1: Technical management of flexibilities
- FG2: Flexibility market and organisational design
- FG3: Solutions for utilities and energy communities
- FG4: FlexOffer User Group
Other FlexGroups can be established on demand.
We thank all our inspiring speakers and engaged participant for having supported the FlexCommunity and look very much forward to welcoming you in the FlexCommunity.
To access the summaries of what was discussed in the breakout session please join our FlexCommunity . All material is provided in the FlexGroups.